I don't think I've watched more than two movies in which he starred, namely I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang and Scarface but have always been aware that he was a highly regarded actor.
I once read of Marlon Brando stating that Muni was his greatest influence as an actor or words to that effect.
I think he had the vibe of being a "method actor" before the term was invented. But his roots were in Yiddish Theatre, starting as a child actor, and not in the Stanislavski system which hugely influenced "The Method".
Regardless, I believe that an evolutionary line can be drawn from Muni to both Brando and Montgomery Clift, with John Garfield fitting somewhere in-between. They all incrementally developed the side of acting concerned with psychological realism.
I must make an effort to watch more of his movies.
© Adeyinka Makinde (2026).
Adeyinka Makinde is a writer based in London, England.
%20smoking%20with%20a%20monkey)%201932%20(1200%20H%20pix).jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment